If you live in the Terai region of Nepal, You must have been familiar with the Tharu people and their culture. In general, the Tharus represent one of the most populous ethnic groups of Terai region of Nepal and are also Nepal’s largely populated indigenous people. Tharus were moved from southern desert like plain country called Thar, according to prominent sociologist Dor Bahadur Bistha, and therefore they were named Tharu. Tharuwan or Tharuhat region is a well-known name for their settlement areas.Tharu people inhabit in practically every area of Nepal’s Terai area, mainly from Morang district to Kanchanpur, and just a minority resides west of the Mahakali River in Uttarakhanda, India. Speaking about them, they are a nice bunch of people. Almost everything they use is handmade by them, with a bit of art sprinkled on top in everything they make. Tharus also claims to be the Terai region’s “Land Lord” and they love their culture a lot with so much of respect. They have a diverse range of customs, cultures, and rituals. From birth to death, the Tharu have cultures that are distinct and a bit different from those of other castes. Tharu have their own language, which varies depending on location. They have brotherly sympathies and are more social than any other group of people. Tharus have a rich cultural tradition with distinct clothes, methods of life, language, and religious beliefs that set them apart from other indigenous Nepalese people.They welcome every one with a wide heart and they are known to be one of the big hearted groups of people residing in Nepal. They desire to live in their own civilization. In Nepal, Hinduism is practiced by the majority of the Tharu. Sticks are employed as a symbol of pursuing wild animals that threaten people and their crops in their ceremonial dance. In Tharu culture, there are primarily five types of dances. They are Bhajayati dance, Thekara Dance, Dafu dance, Jhumara dance, Mayuri dance(Peacock Dance).
Sticks and drums are utilized in all of the dances. Tharu’s primary festivals include Maghi, Siruwa, and Jitiya. The majority of Tharus consume homemade alcoholic beverages. Agriculture and animal husbandry are the primary occupations of almost 95% of Tharu, while the remaining 5% work in other fields.There are more than 50 separate tribes among the Tharus, each with its own vocabulary and tones while speaking their native tongue. They are animists who believe in the existence of a forest goddess named Bandevi and a deity. They have been living along the banks of the river, fishing for a living, while Tharus, who lives in the hilly terrain, farms and raises animals.
Article written by: Saru Niraula for Land Nepal