spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
HomeHistorical PlacesRaja Dhanpalthan Kadamaha

Raja Dhanpalthan Kadamaha

Before the creation of Unified Nepal, reign of small Kingdoms exists in the history books of Nepal. Looking back at the history, these small kingdoms were popularly known as Baise Rajya (22 kingdoms) and Chaubise Rajya (24 kingdoms) during the 11th century. Among these, Madhya Pradesh Rajwada i.e., Raja Dhanpalthan Savik Kadmaha located northeast of the Kingdom of King Birat, Biratnagar during the Mahabharat period is now popularly known as Dhanpalthan Rural Municipality.

 

During the reign of King Dhanpal of the Pala dynasty during the era of the Raja-Rajput, the major shrines are believed to be Dharmasthan, Devisthan, Akhetkshetra, or Bilas Bhumi.  The first King of the Pala dynasty was Rampal (1137 AD). There must have been ruins of the palace after the invasion of Gayasudin Tughla during 1199 AD. The discoveries and research made by historians and experts and other archeological collections and findings such as Folk literature and Culture of Morang by Prof. Dr. Prafulla Kumar Singh, Koshi Katha Sangraha by Matrika Pd Koirala, Ancient Nepal Issues-4, etc, also presents the legend of the King Dhanpal. According to the historical evidences and findings, while the then chief of Kadmaha, Aunai Biswas was suffering from childlessness despite having polygamy, he is credited for uncovering this hidden capital. As suggested by the priest of the same village, Sadidhami, animals and birds were sacrificed on the bank of the forest and religious ponds were started to be constructed on the edge of the forests in 2017 BS. During this digging of the pond, hundreds of large vessels of precious metals, brass, copper, wood, iron, coins, rocks, silver coins began to be minted. This unusual and divine activity started to be known and infamous among the local people as well as nearby villages. This case even went before the police administration and then a team including the then ward in charge Hakim Tarak Bahadur Shah arrived with a truck full of platoon and the locals immediately bought the hidden items and stopped digging. Although some of these materials of archeological importance were kept under the supervision of Guruji Maharaj Ji whereas the others are believed to have reached the archeology archives of the then Department of Archeology in Kathmandu. From that moment onwards, the elders of the place called a grand traditional puja on the 1st of Baishak in the New Year that is still continued till today.

 

It is now known from Mr. Bishwaraj Pandey that a team of professors, students and staffs led by the Principal Mr. Gopal Sharma from Mahendra Morang College visited this place for excursion and observation. Although, in recent days, this place has become a scenic picnic spot for many places however due to lack of awareness among the locals, lack of understanding of significance of the place, lack of political access of the then leaders, this historical place was under the shadows. The dense forests present here provided with timber and loads and was proving to be a boon for some of the representatives of the Panch. As the forest was being thinner every day, with the combined effort of the local people and the police administration, a patrol was conducted and on Poush, 2044 BS huge quantity of timber and woods that was cut, covered and ready to be exported to India was seized and handed over to the village panchayat. Representatives such as Mr. Manoranjan Singh, Mr. Visheshwar Sharma Badhi, Mr. Sukhdev Prasad Chaudhary, Mr. Jagarnath Biswas, etc. demanded that the revenue to be generated from these seized timbers had to be utilized in pond maintenance, construction of temple and preservation of the site. Despite the political ups and downs in the country, there was no change in Dhanpalthan and little attention was paid towards it. Later, on 28th Poush, 2056 BS, the meeting held on then District Administration Office, Morang decided and released a notice stating that Kadmaha Dhanpalthan played an important role in the history of Morang and yet had to be preserved as a prominent historical site. In this context, on Falgun 2056 BS, the Kadmaha VDC board started necessary works for the development of the religious and tourists’ places in the concerned government bodies and authorities. These decisions are considered as the necessary initiatives that marks the beginning of a new dimension for the development of the Dhanpalthan. For the development of this historical, religious and archeologically important place, boundary wall had been built in 2076 BS by Dhanpalthan Rural Municipality and the reconstruction of temple is inaugurated at the same place where the ancient temple used to be there on cost of NRs. 50 Lakhs. The government should pay attention to develop this place as tourist destination and only then the Raja Dhanpal will be a valuable ornament of Dhanpalthan Rural Municipality.

-By: Ujjwal Bhetwal for Land Nepal

Comments
Previous article
Next article
RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -blank
Dharahara, The Bhimsen Tower

Dharahara, The Bhimsen Tower

0
Dharahara Dharahara is a tower in Kathmandu, Nepal, built in 1832 and destroyed in the 2015 Nepal earthquake. It was a nine-story tower with a height...

Basantapur, Kathmandu

0

National Museum of Nepal

0

Kirtipur

0

Narayanhiti Palace

0